our garden journal

our garden journal

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tulip poplar

The evening before our planting extravaganza last fall I was loading up plants to move to Cherokee for planting the next morning when suddenly I was heartbroken, the beautiful little tulip tree I was so proud to donate and eager to watch grow was nearly leafless, one last leaf clinging to the top. “ Oh well it will be ok” I thought, loaded it up and expected recovery by spring but gave up on a little fall color (reportedly yellow!) How silly I felt the next day when Katie brought me the pot our tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) had been in and said “Aunt Bonnie what is that?” I had to laugh at myself, I wanted the tulip tree to teach the students about the host plants for butterflies specifically the Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucas), Oklahoma’s state butterfly. There on the side of the flower pot was the source of carnage, a swallowtail pupa! We want butterflies without losing leaves? My dream had come true and I almost missed it!

http://www.butterflygardening.org/tips/growhost.html

No comments:

Post a Comment